Monday, July 16, 2007

I was always conscious of Allah, or I may say God in those days

He was born Jermaine Boddy and was raised in Charleston, West
Virginia, United States
, as a Baptist Christian as were his parents
and their parents and so on and so forth. He narrates how in the
letter below how he converted to Islam:

As a youth I attended Church and Sunday School regularly until my
adolescent years when girls and running around suddenly became more
important to me. I consider myself as "sinful" when I was on the
street, but I was always conscious of Allah, or I may say God in
those days and used to ask forgiveness on occasions for my sinful
deeds in vain by the way I had been taught, "in the name of Jesus",
may Allah forgive me. I continued on in my sinful ways despite a
number of events in my life that were very life threatening such as
drugs, being shot in the head, loss of jobs, and family and friends
dying. Only after my incarceration did I begin to seek refuge in
Allah and I was "saved" while incarcerated in the county jail. Even
then as I faithfully read my Bible and prayed every night before I
went to bed, there were still some doubts in my mind as far as the
Christian faith was concerned. I continued to try to live my life as
Christian when I came to prison but eventually went back to my old
ways of my lower self. Again after several years of constantly
staying in and out of trouble worrying about worldly matters and
confronting frustration I began going to Church again but only half–
heartedly. I really enjoyed the singing and also the eloquent speech
of the preacher Reverend Hightower but there were always unanswered
questions which I still cannot understand. The more I think about it
the more outrageous it sounds. "Jesus died on the cross for the
whole world's sins". I seek Allah's forgiveness.

Even though I was still confused, I held on to Christianity and
started to seek knowledge elsewhere. I had been introduced to Al-
Islam briefly while on the streets by a friend whom was not very
knowledgeable or righteous but yet I somehow was drawn to this
religion back then. I can remember telling my mother that I wanted
to be a Muslim after hearing the Ayas of the Holy Qur'an. She
dismissed it by saying I did not know what I was talking about which
I did not but somehow I knew that this was the True religion.

I had attended the Jumu'ah on a couple occasions with a brother
named Islam and then again with one of my home boys but never really
understood what was going on because I was not paying any attention.
Sometime later, I then asked a friend, Shahid Qazi to place my name
on the Callout to attend Jumu'ah but for the wrong reasons. My
intentions were to just get out of going to work in the afternoons
on Fridays. Actually I began to stay and listen to the Khutabah and
after a short while some of my previous questions were starting in
to be answered. I would continue to attend reverend Hightower's
services on Thursday nights and then go to Jumu'ah on Fridays for at
least nine months and over the last part of those nine months I
began to ask Allah to show me the straight path because although I
still proclaimed to be a Christian I knew that Islam was a true
religion. Slowly Islam touched my heart and I stopped attending the
Christian services there shortly after I took my Shahadah (Masha-
Allah) and my life changed drastically ever since!

Brother `Abdul Aziz is a young man of 28 years of age from West
Virginia
and has learned his Salat, Kalima, Du'a Qunut, couple of
other Du'as, and many Surahs along with all of the Arabic alphabet.

Brother `Abdul Aziz took his Shahadah just seven months back but has
learned a lot and also is serving the Sunni Muslim Community as an
Amir of Da'awah and Assistant Security. May Allah keep him strong.
Ameen

Abdul Aziz (Formerly Jermaine Boddy)
http://thetruerelig ion.org/modules/ xfsection/ article.php?
articleid=201

No comments: