Monday, July 16, 2007

So, at a lukewarm point in my religion, I decided to try fasting during Ramadan

Source: "Letter to the Editor" of The Muslim Reader, Vol. 16, No. 1-
2, Jan-June 1996 - A publication of the Muslim Converts' Association
of Singapore

As a Roman Catholic, I had been very religious since childhood.
Everytime a priest came to our barrio to say Mass, I'd listen to him
attentively and marvelled at his sermon. This once a year visit of a
missionary priest to our barrio gave me a strong desire to be one
someday.

When I reached high school, the same longing beset me. In Notre Dame
of Dulawan, Datu Piang, Cotabato, I was an active member of the
Student Catholic Action. I never missed going to Mass and serving
the priest. I often went to confession and received Holy Communion
everyday.

Seldom did we find quarrels with our Muslim neighbours. We helped
them with their health needs by administering First Aid and by
giving them medicine for every affliction.

College time came, I continued my studies as a self-supporting
student. I graduated from notre Dame University, Cotabato City, with
the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Education after 4 years.

After graduation, I immediately attended a workshop with the Oblates
of Mary Immaculate, a missionary organisation, but I failed the
psychological test. I tried again with the Diocesan Seminary in
Nuling, but after one year, I was dismissed due to my arguments with
the Bishop of Cotabato.

I then applied for a teaching position at the Notre Dame School of
Jolo. I taught General Science, Theology, History and Economics. Due
to the Civil War between Moro activists and the Army, our classes
ended in March 1974.

I went back to Cotabato City and worked at the Vicariate Housing
Project. I was assigned as a construction foreman with 275 workers,
95% Muslim and 5 % Christian.

I lived and worked with Muslims for 13 years. On Fridays, I
permitted them to go home early for their Friday prayer. For 18
years, I lived with an old widow who considered me as her son while
I considered her as my mother.

After her death, I tried to concentrate on my studies for a Masters
degree. I lived with a poor widow with many children in order to
observe their way of life, in connection with my thesis
proposal: "Feminisation of Poverty Among Selected Widows of Patikul,
Sulu."

So, at a lukewarm point in my religion, I decided to try fasting
during Ramada, 1994. After a few days, I felt contented and gained
much improvement in my health. I was able to finish my Academic
Requirement and Examination in Master of Arts in Social Sciences.

With these blessings from Allah, I finally came to the realisation
that Islam is the true religion. Thus I embraced Islam.

Abdulsalam Tagamolila

http://thetruerelig ion.org/modules/ xfsection/ article.php?
articleid=200

No comments: