Monday, July 16, 2007

Prayers: Menstruation, Traces of Discharge and Prayers

Prayers: Menstruation, Traces of Discharge and Prayers

http://www.ourdialo gue.com/p29. htm#2

Question
My period lasts for three days during which I have frequent discharge. The next four days I have very little discharge or none at all. What I normally do is to have a shower on the fourth day and even on later days, and then pray Fajr. If it continues to be clean, I offer my prayer normally, but when I see traces of discharge, I stop praying for the rest of the day. Please comment.

Answer
If you know that your period lasts seven days, then that is your period, despite the fact that the discharge is only trickling in the last two or four days. Let me make that very clear. If after the three days when your discharge is very frequent, you find that it has stopped for several hours, but you know from experience that you will still have some little discharge in the evening on the following day, then you are still in the period.

Most women know the frequency, regularity of their periods and the volume of their discharge, etc. They can identify how long their period will last. In your case, it seems to me that it lasts seven days. During a woman's period, she is not required to pray, and, according to most scholars, she may not read the Qur'an. My advice to you is to make clear in your mind how long your period lasts. When you have identified that length, then a temporary stoppage, even though it may be for the last half of a day or so, should be disregarded.

Young women used to come to Lady Aisha with their pieces of cotton to show her and ask her whether they should resume prayer. She would tell them not to hurry until they have made sure that the discharge is all white. I think that should give you enough guidance.

AB – withheld62@yahoo. com
First They Came for the EXTREMIST, FUNDAMENTALIST & MODERATE Muslims. And I DIDN’T Speak Out Because I Wasn't An Extremist, Fundamentalist or a Moderate Muslim. Then FINALLY They Came for Me the NON-PRACTICING Muslim And NO Muslims Were Left to Speak Out for ME.

No comments: