Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Passage From Fear to Security

The Passage From Fear to Security

Adil Salahi, Arab News
For several years after the Prophet (peace be upon him) had settled in Madinah, the Muslim community continued to be at the receiving end of unabating hostility from the Quraysh, his own tribe which drove him out of his hometown, Makkah. The Quraysh sent several armies and forged several alliances to try to crush Islam and annihilate Muslims. Yet all these attempts ended in miserable failure, because the Prophet and his followers were true to their faith, ready to sacrifice all they have for the divine message.
Eventually, in year 8 of the Prophet’s immigration, he returned to Makkah, which fell to him without fighting. Prior to his entry, he declared to all people there that whoever stayed indoors, or in the Sacred Mosque of the Kaabah, or in Abu Sufyan’s home was safe. However, he named certain people as exceptions. These were initially sentenced to death because they were exceedingly hostile to Islam and had committed unpardonable crimes. Even then, most of these were subsequently pardoned.
In any similar situation in history, the commander occupying the capital of his avowed enemies would punish the people and wreak havoc on their city. Not so the Prophet, who realized that his mission is to make people recognize the guidance he offered them, and believe in God’s message. Therefore, he was keen that people should look at the message of Islam and consider it in an atmosphere of security, so that they could willingly accept it and become genuine Muslims. Hence, the pledge he gave them of their safety.
However, some of their notables realized that they had a long history of hostility to Islam, and feared for their lives. One of these was Huwaytib ibn Abd Al-Uzza, who had continued to oppose Islam for over 20 years. He speaks about his feelings at the time when the Prophet entered the city of Makkah:
“No one among the notables of the Quraysh who continued to follow their old pagan religion hated the way Makkah fell to Muhammad more than I did; but this was inevitable. I took part in the Battle of Badr joining the unbelievers’ army, and I saw some eye- openers in that battle. I saw the angels high above the ground, killing some unbelievers and handing others to the Muslims as captives. I realized that Muhammad was immune from us. I did not mention what I saw then to anyone. We went back to Makkah and I noticed that some people from the Quraysh were adopting Islam, one by one. At the time of the Al-Hudaybiyah I was present, and I was active until the peace terms were agreed. Throughout this period Islam was getting stronger, as God’s will was done. When the peace agreement was written, I was the last among those signing as witnesses. I felt that the Quraysh would certainly experience what will displease them at the hands of the Muslims, after having repelled Muhammad with arms.
“In accordance with the terms of the peace agreement, the Prophet and his companions came after one year for their Umrah. The Quraysh left the city during these three days, except for a few people, including Suhayl ibn Amr and myself, who were required to ensure that the Muslims left at the end of their agreed period. When their three days were over, I went to him with Suhayl and we said: “Your time is up. Leave our city.” He called Bilal and ordered him to announce: “No Muslim who has come with us should remain in the city after sunset.”
Although the peace agreement was intended to run for ten years, it was only a year later that the Quraysh committed a serious violation, which made the Prophet raise an army and march to Makkah, which then fell to him without fighting. Huwaytib was in great fear for his life, knowing his past history in opposition to Islam. He reports:
“When the Prophet entered Makkah, I was in great panic. I left my home, and I sent my children to different places where they would be secure. I then went away until I reached a place known as Ha’it Awf. I then saw Abu Dharr Al-Ghifari, who previously was a very close friend of mine, but I tried to evade meeting him. However, he called out to me, and asked: ‘What is wrong with you?’ I said: ‘I am scared.’ He said: ‘There is nothing to fear. You are safe in accordance with the pledge of safety given in God’s name.’ I went back to him, and greeted him. He told me to go back to my home. I said: ‘Can I reach home in safety. By God, I fear to be killed on the way, or that if I get there someone forces his way in and kills me. My children are scattered in several places.’ He said: ‘Call in your children and I will come with you to see you home.’ He actually took me home, calling out on the way that I was to be safe, and no one should scare me in any way. He then went to the Prophet and reported what happened. The Prophet said to him: ‘But all people, apart from those I named, are safe.’ When I heard this I felt reassured.
Abu Dharr was with me again. He remonstrated with me, saying: ‘Abu Muhammad! How long are you to remain thus? Until when will you continue to hold out? People have gone ahead of you on so many good occasions, while you missed out on a great deal of good things. Yet there remains much that is good. Go to God’s Messenger and declare your acceptance of Islam. You will find him the kindest, most generous and forbearing of all people. You will share in his honor and glory.’ I said: ‘I will come with you to see him.’ We went out until we arrived at the Prophet’s place near Mina. With him were Abu Bakr and Umar. I stood close, and asked Abu Dharr how should I greet him. When I said my greeting, he said: ‘And peace be to you, Hwuaytib.’ I said: ‘I declare my belief that there is no deity other than God, and that you are God’s Messenger.’ He said: ‘All praise is due to God for having guided you to the truth.’
The Prophet was pleased that I adopted Islam. Soon afterward, he asked whether I could lend him some money, and I lent him 40,000 dirhams. (The dirham was the silver currency at the time.) I joined the Muslim army in the Battle of Hunayn and the siege of Taif. When the Prophet distributed the booty gained at the Battle of Hunayn, he gave me a gift of one hundred camels.
This was the case of yet another of the stalwarts of the Quraysh’s opposition to Islam. We note that after the battle of Hunayn the Prophet gave very rich gifts to those people, so that their split with their past hostility to Islam and Muslims would be complete.
First They Came for the EXTREMIST, FUNDAMENTALIST & MODERATE Muslims. And I DIDN’T Speak Out Because I Wasn't An Extremist, Fundamentalist or a Moderate Muslim. Then FINALLY They Came for Me the NON-PRACTICING Muslim And NO Muslims Were Left to Speak Out for ME.

No comments: